Borrowing money in one way or another is a fact of life for many of us. If, after completing a budget for your essential spending (such as rent, council tax etc), you are unable to meet your repayments or if your debt has got on top of you then it might be time to seek some help.
Unmanageable debt can put a huge strain on those around you – remember, a debt adviser will not judge you, they will listen to your problems and help you as best they can.
We offer free, confidential debt support through a partner agency called FISCUS. The debt specialist can provide you with advice and support on dealing with your debts, they can even visit you in your home if you prefer. Appointments are available every Tuesday morning, and FISCUS hold a debt surgery every Tuesday afternoon from 1.30pm-4.00pm at the Cestria Hub.
To make an appointment, please contact the Financial Inclusion Team on 0191 385 1407, or drop in at the debt surgery. (Please note, the surgery is a drop in, and you will be seen when the advisor is available - we cannot guarantee how long your wait may be)
We have listed some FREE online resources for you here, along with additional organisations that can provide you similar advice to our debt service:
Organisations providing support
- StepChange debt charity: Free, confidential debt advice online and over the phone & free debt management plans
- Payplan: www.payplan.com – free, confidential advice for people in debt and a no-cost provider of debt management plans
- Christians Against Poverty: www.capuk.org - free, confidential advice for people in debt (please note you do not have to be of Christian faith).
- Five Lamps - They have debt advisors, as well as offering instant affordable loans.
All of the companies above such as CAB, StepChange Debt Advice Charity, PayPlan and Christians Against Poverty are not-for-profit organisations and therefore do not charge you for receiving debt management advice and support. However, there are fee-charging companies offering similar help, so be sure to consider all of your options.
Did you know
- Overspending is not the main cause of debt problems.
- Collection agents are not bailiffs and cannot seize your property.
- Avoiding your debt for 6 years does not mean you're no longer liable for it.
- Money Management Blog: http://moneyaware.co.uk
||Non Priority Debts
|Mortgage, rent, or any loans secured against your home
||Credit Card, store cards or payday loans
|Income Tax, National Insurance & VAT
||Catalogue, home credit or in-store credit debts
|Gas & Electricity Bills
||Bank or building society loans
||Money borrowed from friends or family
|Hire Purchase agreements, if what you're buying with them is essential