Exchanging or swapping your home

Everyone needs a change of scenery once in a while, and although we want you to enjoy living in our homes for a long time, we know there comes a time when people need to move on.

Moving to a home owned by a partnership landlord

If you are an existing tenant who wants to move to another Cestria home or to another social landlord here is what you need to do.

We let our homes through the Durham Key Options choice based lettings scheme. This is a partnership between Cestria Community Housing Association, Dale and Valley Homes, Derwentside Homes, Durham County Council, East Durham Homes, livin and Teesdale Housing Association.

If you wish to move to a home owned by one of the landlords above you will need to fill in the Durham Key Options application form.

You can do this by either:

  • Completing the application form online at durhamkeyoptions.co.uk
  • We can also visit you in your home to help you complete a form if necessary;
  • Completing a hard copy (paper) application form which we can send out to you on request.

Once we have your completed application form we will check to see if you can join the scheme and we will let you know in writing. We will also send you a ‘User Guide’ which tells you the next steps.

Ways to swap your home

Durham Key Options (County Durham only)

You can apply to advertise your home through the Durham Key Options scheme. You will need to log-on to durhamkeyoptions.co.uk and complete the mutual exchange application, giving details of your home. We will check your application and let you know if it has been accepted.

If you cannot complete the application form on line please contact us and we will send you a form in the post or we can visit you in your home to help you fill in the application form if necessary.

If your application is accepted your home will be advertised as a mutual exchange property on the Durham Key Options website. You will be able to view other available mutual exchange properties and other tenants will be able to see your advert. For more information about mutual exchange please contact us.

This scheme only includes properties from the Durham Key Options partner landlords.

Homeswapper (national scheme)

Cestria Community Housing is part of the National Homeswapper service which helps council and housing association tenants from across the country to swap homes.

If you are interested in advertising your home on this website you will need to visit www.homeswapper.co.uk and complete some details about your home and also the type of home you are interested in. We will then receive a request from Home swapper to approve your application. If your application is accepted you will be able to log onto the website and look at other properties.

If you do not have access to the you will need to contact us and we can visit you in your home to help you fill in the application form or send you the form out in the post if necessary.

If you find another home and the other tenant agrees they want to move into your home you will need to contact us immediately. Your application to exchange homes must be approved by the appropriate landlords.

Mutual exchange

Some council or housing association tenants may exchange (swap) their homes with each other. If you are interested in swapping your home, there are two ways you can do this, through Durham Key Options or the Homeswapper scheme.

If you have any questions about moving on, please contact us.


This site uses cookies to help make it more useful and reliable. Our cookies page explains what they are, which ones we use, and how you can manage or remove them. read more