Buying, selling & subletting
I want to buy my flat
If you are considering buying the flat you live in you may be able to do so through the Right to Buy scheme.
For information on the Right to Buy scheme click here or if you would like to speak to someone you can contact a member of our Right to Buy team on 0191 385 1900.
Can I sub-let my property?
Yes you can sub-let your property however there are a number of things you should be aware of:
- Before you decide to sub-let your property it is advisable that you contact your mortgage lender to check that the terms of your mortgage will allow this.
- You must advise Cestria Community Housing of your intention to sub-let as this could have an affect on your building insurance cover.
- As owner of the property you are still responsible for the Service charges and Ground Rent as well as ensuring that your property has an annual gas safety inspection and up to date CP12 certificate.
- We will require details of your forwarding correspondence address and emergency contact number.
- It must be noted that you are responsible for ensuring that your tenants abide by the terms of the lease as we could take action against you as the owner of the property.
Do I need permission from Cestria to sell my home?
No, you do not need permission from us to sell your property.
However, if you bought your home after 18 January 2005 and you want to sell it, under the terms the preserved Right to Buy at the time of purchase, you must first offer it to Cestria Community Housing under the Right of first refusal.
If you purchased the property from Cestria under the Right to Buy scheme, depending on when the purchase was made you may be required to repay some of the discount. For more information on discount repayment please contact us on 0191 385 1900.